Jason and I have been in the habit of saving our spare change since we first got married, in fact, it's actually how we paid for our new camera this Christmas. We have also found that it's a great way to teach Jake (and eventually Mady) how to slowly save money for something special. When Jake was first born our old neighbors gave him a piggy bank as a gift and we have been adding change to it ever since. He LOVES to drop the coins in his little bank, and then as Jason taught him, to shake it up and hear it rattle around.
Well, the other day Jake was asking pretty insistently if we could go to the store and get a new car to add to his collection. At first we told him no and that he could wait until his birthday and all that good stuff. But then, my hubby had the great idea of letting him use his own money that he has saved up to buy the car. So, after dinner we helped him count out his money (very cute to watch I must add) and then we were off to the store for his big purchase.
It was pretty comical watching Jake line up the different cars and carefully make his decision...of course he ended up picking yet another version of Lightning McQueen. He was so excited to pay for Lightning all on his own, and it was adorable watching him march up to the cash register with 2 dollar bills in one hand and 8 quarters in the other. He was sooo proud of himself through the whole experience and I think it's something he will be talking about for a while!
that is so great! I was about his age when I made my first real purchase (or so I have been told!)
ReplyDeleteThat is so cute. Ethan, and especially Nathan, get very excited about putting their "money" in their piggy banks. They love finding the change around the house (that falls out of Daddy's pockets) and running upstairs to put it in their banks.
ReplyDeleteSo adorable and what a great idea! You are doing such a wonderful job, Megan.
ReplyDelete